Pages

Apr 21, 2016

Floating Photo Manipulation: Behind the Scenes


Photo manipulations can be really a lot of fun to create. You can do almost anything in Photoshop, which is why it's such a great creative tool. The image above was created by combining two images. Because I have no professional studio equipment,  I did the first image, of myself, in my room. I had three light sources: two lamps and a window.

This whole thing was set up with things I already had around me; you don't need fancy equipment to get good quality images.
 I tipped the smaller lamp in the corner on its side to direct the light where I wanted, using the lamp shade to help with this. The background was a blanket I found in a closet and I used hair clips to hold it to the curtain rod. I needed it to block the light from the window so the image wouldn't be back-lit, as well as for an aid for the editing that I will be doing later in Photoshop. It may look cheap, but it does the job.
To take the picture, I used a small chair and the wooden stool to create the pose I needed for the image. Later, I used Photoshop to cut out the background completely. Because the only lights I had were rather warm, I had to do a bit of color correction for it to fit into the new background.
After adding the image to one Photoshop document, I began adding extra details like the reflection and tiny floating lights. Finally, I pulled everything together with some more color correction, and I was finished. It took somewhere around three to four hours to complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment